PTO President Job Description
- Desire to serve the PTO, the school, and ultimately the students
- Understanding of the organization’s mission
- Willingness to delegate tasks
- Good listening skills
- Effective communication skills
- Maintain a fair and impartial position at all times
- Appoint and oversee chairs of standing committees working with the VP.
- Coordinate the work of officers and committees so that goals of the PTO are realized.
- Create the master volunteer list and distribute to Secretary, VP and Communication Chair
- Prepare the calendar, with the executive committee in August for the upcoming school year.
- Hand out the by- laws and standing rules at the executive meeting along with their notebooks.
- Maintain standard rules.
- Preside at general PTO meetings and executive board meetings
- Serve as the primary contact to the principal and represent the PTO at meetings of other groups, if needed
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all committees
- Retain all of official records of the PTO
- Conduct annual Committee Orientation with the VP.
- Be in contact with the communication chair to send meeting reminders, announce upcoming events, and distribute the PTO newsletter. Submit PTO news for the school newsletter
Typical Monthly Tasks:
- Prepare for and lead executive board meetings
- Prepare for and lead PTO meetings
- Review the treasurer’s report
- Have regular check-in meetings with the principal
- Thank volunteers for their efforts
Typical Annual Tasks:
- Finalize the activities calendar with the principal
- Set the schedule of monthly executive board meetings for the year
- Hold a committee chair orientation
- Update the signature cards at your PTO’s bank
- Double-check key organizational dates, including your PTO insurance policy renewal, incorporation with the state, and IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ, if applicable
- Determine which committee chair positions might need to be filled next year, and reach out for volunteers
- Serves as Head Grade Parent Chair
Training and Resources:
- One-on-one with outgoing president
- Articles about president topics
- Past files and examples
- Computer files